2018 MID-TERM REVIEW

Hereditary, A24 Films, 2018

Well, annual film festivals are kicking off signifying the beginning of the awards season. Which means we’re officially halfway through the cinematic year. I was concerned with the state of the industry now at my year-end review for 2017. I still made my goal of finding 20 films, though it was hard. I still have hope, but it’s even harder to find favorites. Keeping in mind it’s just so tempting to say screw Hollywood now because of the overtly politically sensitive nature that everything, especially Hollywood, is now.

Nevertheless, I still find myself making sure to keep up with my movies and not get behind (even if it is old/classic Hollywood because I slightly prefer it and there’s nothing good coming out presently *facepalm*). With that said, here are the films that stood out to me and are worthy of praise when everything seems like it’s got an agenda behind it and this film still reminds me that there’s hope. The films that I was really looking forward to and was heavily let down. And the films I’m genuinely hoping don’t do the same.

To keeping the faith …


FAVORITES

Hereditary
American Animals
A Quiet Place
You Were Never Really Here
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Deadpool 2


DISAPPOINTMENTS

Annihilation
Thoroughbreds
Gemini
Flower
Revenge
Terminal
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Upgrade
The Incredibles 2
Ocean’s 8
Sorry to Bother You

*Because of the overtly political thing I said above, with that mindset embedded in society, our culture elevates things and worships them A LOT more than they should. Because it’s the first legit black superhero (Black Panther)/first female led superhero (Wonder Woman)/black horror flick (Get Out)… insert oppressed class and virtue signal that I the filmmaker am down for the cause … and because the film clearly didn’t suck, therefore, it’s the GREATEST MOVIE of this category or movie in general. Forcing The Academy to break their backs to try and recognize this commercial film (and then take it back this very daybecause we all saw through their virtue signaling *hilarious emoji*). So, I say all that to say, Crazy, Rich, Asians is now the GREATEST movie to grace us with its presence because we all cheered and laughed and had a good time! And because it’s the first homogenously Asian cast in over a decade, and because it clearly didn’t suck (dude, the acting was borderline passable *facepalm emoji*), therefore you’re a racist for clearly not getting on your knees to worship this film like the rest of us. Just like you were for Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Get Out, and the next one we overhype.

And it sucks that I have to write all that out when Crazy, Rich, Asians doesn’t deserve a mention at all on my review list in my opinion, or at best a solid spot on the “whatever” section of my list and we can just leave it at that. You had fun, I don’t think it’s even worth mentioning, let’s go get some cheese fries and talk about the crazy dates we’ve had. ROTTEN TOMATOES HAS JUST FOUND OUR NEW CINEMATIC SAVIOR!! OH MY GOSH WE’VE JUST FOUND THE NEXT CROWN JEWEL IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA!!! 

ANTICIPATIONS

The Favourite 
The Kindergarten Teacher 
The Frontrunner
Destroyer
Suspiria
Vox Lux
Teen Spirit
Serenity

There are a lot of films on the list to check off to see, but these are the ones I'm anticipating.

See you at finals!

Comments

Popular Posts