Perfume: The Story of A Murderer (2006)


Perfume:  The Story Of A Murderer (2006)
A Review by Ben Hunter 
4½ 1/2 Out of 5 Stars


"A perfume of such power that everyone will believe they're in paradise."

I was so intrigued by this movie that it didn't feel like 2 and a half hours had gone by. We as a society always want to smell good and are concerned that we stay that way, but never really looked into the culture/world of scent and smell.

I loved how the filmmakers believably and slowly revealed how Jean-Baptiste became a murderer. Like Chris Nolan slowly and believably showing you how Harvey Dent becomes "Two-Face". Anyone that cleverly and slowly brings me into the mind of the killer/bad-guy and makes it believable has my utmost respect.

The music was cleverly suspenseful, terrorizing, and yet it was elegant, and peaceful all when it needed to be at the right moments. I LOVED this score in it's entirety and respected it due to it's complexity and elegance. I have the tracks saved to a play list as we speak on Youtube!

The only concept I would say that some may find "wrong" with this piece is the narration. After an event would take place the narrator would step in and inform you of what just happened for clarity. For instance, in the very end when the quote I mentioned earlier takes presence. But, if the narrator wasn't there, it'd be kind of too much to take in maybe? I mean it is a 2 and a half hour movie. This point here is all argumentative.

I would recommend to anyone who can handle a great deal of nudity. Which you get over after a certain point and you get used to the nature of the film. As I mentioned earlier this is a beautiful piece, in story, complexity, music, and elegance of its craft. It's an insight into a new world. A world that everyone should have some kind of knowledge about and better themselves with.

Comments

Popular Posts