The Blonde In Mass

My Night At Maud's (1969)
A Review By Ben Hunter
5 Out Of 5 Stars

GET TO THE POINT BEN!

Experience this night for yourself and become overwhelmed with emotion!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Jean-Louis walks around the room feeling the advance of Maud, seductively, yet intelligently in her bed in that same room.   Being a Catholic, and having the word now escaped about his feelings for a particular, unknown blonde girl he’s noticed for a couple of weeks now in Mass, Jean-Louis tries to calmly defend his position in life.  Comparing the similarities in love and mathematics, Maud slips off her gown underneath the blanket, now intrigued by this blonde.  Faith and atheism arrive in conversation, Maud speaks from her opposing point of view, yet somehow, attraction keeps building, suspense elevates, the tension and passion tremendously increase, and Jean-Louis becomes more and more distraught trying to keep it together, especially when she invites him to sleep over as Christmas is near and the weather’s terrible to drive within at night.  After a little more convincing, Jean-Louis slips beside Maud on top of the covers.  They wake up underneath it, and the story spirals from this night, Jean-Louis’ “Night At Maud’s”. 

I’ve never been more intrigued as of late than I have with Éric Rohmer’s classic.  I was happy to discover this was up for best foreign flick that year at The Oscars.  It’s a film that one needs to be kept up on their toes as it honors those that do.  I’m glad The Academy and I agree on this one, as I couldn’t look away when that night took off.  My mind started to race with all sorts of intellectual capability.  It’s a film that makes you believe anything is possible, making you want to pick up the nearest book and educate yourself.  

Once the night took place, I was then open to the world that Rohmer created.  The dialogue between characters was now in full affect and I was completely immersed in approval.  I accepted everything as truth.  Jean-Louis, nicely portrayed by Jean-Louis Trintignant, was a very likable guy in his quest to seek after the blonde in mass (Anne Dubot).  Growing up in a similar religious manner, having encounters and people I truly call my friends who are of different truths in the universe, I could totally relate to Jean-Louis’ ideology and beliefs.  I absolutely loved feeling that tension in the room from Maud (Françoise Fabian)!  It reminded me to loosen up a bit in life and enjoy the journey, a factor this film enforces once the credits roll. 

My Night At Maud's
Drama, 105 Minutes, PG
Written & Directed by: Éric Rohmer
Cast: Jean-Louis Trintignant, Françoise Fabian, Antoine Vitez, Anne Dubot




Comments

Popular Posts