Planet of the Apes (1968)


Planet of the Apes (1968) 
A Review by Ben Hunter
5 Out of 5 Stars

Wow! I really don't know what to say. Talk about intriguing! This movie touches on such a deep level, I really can't even begin to think about how. From Charton Heston's opening monologue to his debate with the Ape Doctor right before the mind blowing ending, to that very ending itself ... amazing!

Rod Serling, the creative genius mind behind the famous and original "Twilight Zone" television series was on the writing team for this picture. So I'm not surprised with the TOTALLY SHOCKING result that you get at the very end. It really did feel like an episode, an elongated one, yet an intriguing one all the way though. That ending had Rod Serling written all over it. Totally his style! The "first words to the apes" scene ... BRILLIANT!!

I really enjoyed hearing the debates between Heston and the Apes. Trying to convince a species that where you come from your species is superior. The monkey is the closest animal to the human, but apes are a bigger species in size so it's understandable why the ape was chosen and not the monkey. Yet still they are of the same family so it really makes you wonder, "well they are of a highly similiar anatomy, so what if it did happen?!"

The fact that man resorts to violence to solve major issues is key here with this movie. I asked myself will we one day destroy ourselves? Or learn to get along with each other's differences?

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."

" ... Does man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

When George Taylor is captured and sitting in his holding cell. "Imagine me needing someone. Back on Earth I never did. Oh, there were women. Lots of women. Lots of love-making but no love. You see, that was the kind of world we'd made. So I left, because there was no one to hold me there."

These quotes stuck with me afterwards. This movie is just so powerful in its message and in its entirety. Once you get past the 60's cheesy action and really just focus on what's trying to be relayed to you, it really jumps at you.

Must we continue on the path of violence? Can mankind completely destroy itself? Think about it.

There are 4 other sequels that were made, so probably by the 3rd it may start to get out of hand and too "Sci-Fi" for the average person. But I'm speaking from someone upon having only viewed the original. So who knows how I'd feel after the 4th or the next one. Still wouldn't take anything away from the this 1st one. The fact that the filmmakers milked it for 4 more sequels says there was SOMETHING to all of this and that they were at hit back in the 70's when they premiered.

Comments

Popular Posts