1917 Review

1917 (2019)
A Review By Ben Hunter
5/5 Stars 

GET TO THE POINT BEN!

The best movie of the year by traditional standards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I am a poor, wayfaring stranger,
While journy’ing thru this world of woe. 
Yet, there’s no sickness, toil nor danger, 
In that bright land to which I go.
I’m going there to see my Father, 
I’m going there no more to roam; 
I’m only going over Jordan, 
I’m only going over home.
I know dark clouds will gather o’er me, 
I know my way is rough and steep;
Yet beaut’ous fields lie just before me, 
Where God’s redeemed their vigils keep.
I’m going there to see my Mother, 
She said she’d meet me when I come; 
I’m only going over Jordan, 
I’m only going over home.
I want to wear a crown of glory, 
When I get home to that good land;
I want to shout salvation’s story, 
In concert with the bloodwashed band.
I’m going there to meet my Savior, 
To sing His praise forevermore; 
I’m only going over Jordan, 
I’m only going over home.” -Bever’s “Christian Songster”



It’s the third year of the The Great War. We’re in the calm before storm of the Third Battle of Ypres where we begin with 2 British soldier friends. 2 young lads, Lance Corporal Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) and Lance Corporal Schofield (George MacKay), 2 friends trying to do right by the motherland in honorable fashion as young 20 somethings would. When they receive dire warnings from their superiors that another unit battalion of their military way over yonder is walking into a trap. The enemy is expecting them. If they could receive the message to not attack that day, their side of the fight wouldn’t lose ground with the lives and manpower saved. Blake and Schofield are tasked with the seemingly impossible daunting orders of journeying behind enemy lines to deliver the ever so important message. A message that could save 1600 fellow troops, including Blake’s own brother. Witness what happened that traumatic day … 

… of April 6th, 1917.

Gear up for an authentic, gruesome, yet poetic and heavenly portrayals of The Seminal Catastrophe, The First, Great World War. And discover if our 2 heroes survive that horrific day in hopes that their fellow military, fellow countrymen, and fellow allied powers move the needle towards peace. 

Heavily relied upon the real stories of servicemen, including the ancestor of director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road, Skyfall). This film comes from a place of gratitude and pride in one’s country. Yet harmonious in efforts to work with others in common good. After reading up on the quotes of the men that fought in “the war to end all wars”, I can see why it was mentally disfiguring of one’s psyche. 

Roger Deakins (who filmed Skyfall and Revolutionary Road for Mendes), arguably the best working cinematographer today, does some of his best work ever in this gracefully moving dance of moment to moment, scene to scene. Yes, it’s one of those films. No cuts, no edits, just one swiftly dancing camera gliding from place to place. Acting, blocking, timing, directing and dancing with the camera from beat to beat as they wow the crowd, almost like theater. The work that went into filming this story was only imaginable in its uphill battle, to say the least and pardon the pun. And after watching some of the behind the scenes featurettes (linked below), I'm surprised they pulled this off and on a normal filming schedule and budget. Succombing to the whims of mother nature, day to day for her lighting mercy; while accepting the wrath of her elements in package form at the same time. I am impressed. Hats off to everyone involved, and especially give raises and awards to everyone in the camera department.

Remember Birdman? The comedic, 2014 Oscar winner? That was filmed the same way. This, by traditional filmmaking standards and award winning discipline, is poised as this year’s best. And by all accounts, should be this season’s winner!

War, 119 Minutes, R
Written By: Sam Mendes & Kristy Wilson-Cairns
Directed By: Sam Mendes
Cast: Dean-Charles Chapman, George Mackay, Daniel Mays, Colin Firth, & Benedict Cumberbatch 


Comments

Popular Posts